Life Technologies announced yesterday that they launched the Ion AmpliSeq Exome Certified Service Provider Program.
What the program is in a nutshell:
- Goals: Offer a network of next gen sequencing providers able to help researchers get a high quality exome sequence at a reduced cost with fast turnaround times and low amounts of input material
- Exome sequencing inputs: as little as 50ng of customer DNA
- Library kit used: Ion AmpliSeq Exome kit
- NGS Instrument used: Ion Proton
- Exome sequencing outputs: high quality data, which of course can be used with Ion Reporter Software for mutation validation, annotation, and reporting
The Service Provider Program is intended to fill exome sequencing market demand which Life Tech argues has been under-serviced with exome sequencing currently going for $1,000+ , long turnaround times up to 8 weeks, and requiring up to 3mg of DNA. Dr. Candace Johnson, Deputy Director and the Wallace Chair of Translational Research at Roswell Park Cancer Institute states “Exome sequencing will be central to discoveries made in clinical research”. If the Exome CSP delivers as promised, it could have a major impact in accelerating discoveries made in clinical research.
For more information on the Life Tech Provider Program please see the entire press release.